Professional Counsellor & Therapist in Singapore
Hi, my name is Sophia. I am a professional counsellor and psychotherapist / therapist based in Singapore.
My mission is to help individuals like you lead successful, fulfilling and well-meaning lives – no matter where you are starting from. I work closely with teenagers and adults to help them overcome life challenges and flourish as individuals.
The philosophy of my practice is based on positive psychology, which is the scientific study of happiness and flourishing. Positive psychology focuses on helping individuals lead fulfilling lives that are important to them, and to cultivate what is best within themselves.
I believe in a wellness approach towards mental health. Instead of paying attention to our mental health only when issues arise, I believe that our mental health is an important aspect of functioning that anyone can strive to improve on. Just like going to the gym to improve one’s physical strength, counselling and psychotherapy works on improving the state of one’s mind.
As a professional psychotherapist / therapist Singapore, I practice what I preach. I continuously seek out ways to lead a more fulfilling and well-meaning life myself. This means painstakingly building in positive habits that I would work on with you in our counselling sessions as well. I read widely on the latest evidence-based and effective practices that would help you become happier, more productive, successful and fulfilled.
My journey towards wellness began after struggling with disordered eating for many years. My body image and eating issues started in my adolescent years. I exercised excessively, and kept my caloric intake between 900 to 1200 calories. In between, I ran a full marathon just because I read that it could burn 2600 calories.
After entering University, it became increasingly difficult to keep up my crazy exercise schedule with the demands of school. I wanted a normal social life, but was constantly worried about having to eat in social situations. I had hoped to learn more about my true self and grow in terms of personal and professional development. Instead, I felt that I was missing out on so many things in the best years of my life because of my social anxiety.
Gradually, I felt that life was meaningless, and had this growing fear that I would never be able to achieve the dreams and goals that I had when I was young. This fear kept nagging at me.
It took a really long time, but I eventually decided that I wanted to live life on my own terms. I made a conscious decision to start learning how to eat better, which made me feel better about eating. Eventually, I applied to study and become a Certified Holistic Nutritionist.
I also decided that I would read books to learn about how to be happier and love myself, as I was never really comfortable with myself all those years. My passion in personal development and self-help were ignited at that time. I wanted to serve the community with what I had learnt. Therefore, I took a leap of faith and enrolled in a two-year Master programme in Counselling. Looking back, obtaining my certification in counselling was one of the best decisions that I have made in my life.
Now, counselling is my full-time career in Singapore. As a certified counsellor / therapist Singapore, it gives me immense job satisfaction to be able to help others live life on their own terms.
” My goal is to help you create the space to make the changes in your life “
Credentials and Additional Training
- Master of Arts in Counselling and Guidance, National Institute of Education, Singapore
- Bachelor of Business Management (Finance and Strategic Management), Singapore Management University
- Level 1 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Career Development Facilitator, The National Career Development Association
- Certified Holistic Nutritionist, American Fitness Professionals & Associates (AFPA)
- Mindfulness for Well-being and Peak Performance, Monash University, Australia
- Diabetes – A Global Challenge course, University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Nutrition for Health Promotion and Disease course, University of California, San Francisco
- Continuous learning via conferences, seminars, e-courses, reading books, and listening to podcasts
- Counselling work in local Primary and Secondary schools (working with children and adolescents on anger management issues, school refusal, study motivation, and delinquency behaviors)
- Counselling work with children using Art and Play therapy
- Counselling work in a tertiary setting (working with young adults on relationship issues, career exploration, academic stress and stress management)
- Group counselling work facilitating personal development, anger management groups, social skills, and coping with life transitions
- Volunteer as a listener on 7 Cups, an online therapy and free counselling platform for individuals experiencing emotional distress
- Member, The National Career Development Association
- Member, Young Women’s Leadership Connection