Here’s a list of my recommended reads on mental health, positive psychology, and personal development.
ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
- Mind over Mood by Dennis Greenberger and Christine A. Padesky: A comprehensive workbook based on the principles of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT) focusing on anxiety, depression and anger issues.
- The Feeling Good Handbook by David Burns: Based on the principles of CBT. Dr. David Burns later created his own framework of CBT called Team-CBT. You can read more about Team-CBT and the accompanying research on his website Feeling Good Institute.
- Ten Days to Self-Esteem by David Burns: Based on the principles of CBT
- The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne: A comprehensive workbook that gives a very good understanding of how anxiety and phobia works
- The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety Using ACT by John P. Forsyth and Georg H. Eifert: Based on the principles of ACT
- The Happiness Trap by Russ Harris: Based on the principles of ACT
- Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life by Steven C. Hayes and Spencer Smith: An introduction to Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) written by the founder of ACT
- A Liberated Mind by Steven C. Hayes: An introduction to Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT) written by the founder of ACT
- Choice Theory by William Glasser: An introduction to the principles of Reality Therapy (CT/RT) written by the founder of CT/RT
- Stuff that Sucks by Ben Sedley: An illustrated book written for teens based on the principles of ACT
- Superhero Therapy by Janina Scarlet: An illustrated book written for teens based on the principles of ACT
- How to Talk so Kids Will Listen and Listen so Kids Will Talk by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish
- Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordon
- Raising a Secure Child by Kent Hoffman, Glen Cooper, Bert Powell and Christine M. Benton
- The Whole-Brain Child by Daniel J Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- No Drama Discipline by Daniel J Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Power of Showing Up by Daniel J Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- Nonviolent Communication by Marshall B. Rosenberg
- The Seven Principles For Making Marriage Work by John Gottman
- Hold Me Tight by Sue Johnson
- Fighting for Your Marriage by Howard J. Markman, Scott M. Stanley and Susan L. Blumberg
- Can Love Last? by Stephen A. Mitchell
- Learned Optimism by Martin Seligman
- Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman
- What You Can Change and What You Can’t by Martin Seligman
- The How of Happiness by Sonja Lyubomirsky
- Stumbling on Happiness by Daniel Gilbert
- Flow by Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi
- Happier by Tal Ben Shahar
For a summary of some of the key research on happiness and positive psychology, read The Evidence-Based Guide to Happiness here.
When it might not be all too convenient to hold a book (e.g. at the gym, on a crowded bus etc.), I listen to podcasts. Here’s a list of podcast series that I am currently listening to.
- Feeling Good by Dr. David Burns
- Psychologists Off The Clock
- Savvy Psychologist by Dr. Jade Wu
- The Mental Illness Happy Hour
- The Psychology Podcast Dr. Scott Barry Kaufman
- Unruffled by Janet Lansbury
- Where Should We Begin? by Esther Perel
- Headspace: Guided meditation app
- Calm: Guided meditation app
- Stop, Breathe and Think: Guided meditation app – current fav!
- Moodtools: Self-help app for depression
- Mindshift: Self-help app for anxiety
- Lantern: Programme for emotional well-being
- Sanvello: Self-help app for stress, anxiety and depression