22 Ideas for Self-Care While Staying At Home (+ Handy Checklist)
Prolonged social and physical isolation can take a toll on our emotional and mental health.
While we adjust to our new routines of staying home to reduce the transmission of COVID-19, here are 22 ideas for self-care you can try out when you are feeling down.
Scroll to the end for a handy checklist with all 22 ideas that you can print out!
1. Write in a journal.
Here are some journal prompt ideas:
- PsychCentral: 30 Journaling Prompts for Self-Reflection and Self-Discovery
2. Take a walk or jog around the neighbourhood park.
3. Do some light stretches.
4. Try a home workout on Youtube or a live streaming fitness class.
Here is a great list of 28 online workouts and virtual fitness options put together by Sassy Mama:
5. Go to bed 30 minutes earlier than usual.
6. Call someone you haven’t spoken to in a while.
7. Send an encouraging text message to five friends, colleagues, or family members.
8. Write a letter or email to an old friend.
9. Hold a video call with your family members not living in the same household.
10. Declutter an area of your house (e.g. kitchen, cabinets, drawers) that you have been meaning to but have been putting off.
11. Get rid of five things you never use.
12. Cook or bake something that you have never made before.
13. Make a mixtape of favourite songs from your past and listen to them.
14. Listen to a podcast on a subject that interests you.
15. Read a book or magazine.
Check out my favorite podcast and book recommendations here.
16. Light a candle and put on a face mask.
17. Take a nap.
18. Attend an online course and learn something new.
19. Dress up and put on an outfit that makes you feel great, even though you are just staying at home.
Here are some of my favourite apps:
21. Disconnect from technology and take a break from the news.
22. If you feel overwhelmed, call a friend, family member, seek professional help, or contact the crisis hotline.
SOS (Samaritans of Singapore) 24/7 Hotline: 1800 221 4444
IMH Emergency Helpline: 6389 2222